Wiki 90792 coding

sluke9

Best answers
I need help in being able to explain in layman's terms the difference 90792 and then 90863and proper useage of the codes. I've tried the definitions from the CPT manual but that doesn't help. Does anyone use a minimum criteria list to allow 90792? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

90792 vs 90863

90791-This is out of the Coder's Desk Reference for Procedures (Which by the way is an excellance book to have on hand both for the providers and coders). A psychiatric diagnostic evaluation is performed, which includes the assessment of the pt's psychosocial history, current mental status, review and ordering of diagnostic studies followed by appriopriate treatment recommendations. In 90792, additional medical services such as physical esamination and prescription of pharmaceuticals are provided in addition to the diagnostic evaluation. interviews and communication w/family members or other sources are included in these codes.
90863- The patient's medications are managed during a psychiatric service, including the pt's current use of medicines, a medical review of the benefits and treatment progression, management of side effects, & review or change of prescription. This is a pharmacologically related service and is reported in addition to non-crisis related psycholtherapy when there is no other E&M service performed during the encounter.
I hope this helps you out.
Betty Hougasian, CPC
757-953-4363.
NMCP
Portsmouth, Va. 23708
betty.hougasian@med.navy.mil