Wiki 90837 vs 90847

bvalier25

Best answers
I am trying to find out what the correct answer is for this coding scenario. If a client is a child and the parent joins the session briefly to discuss the child's progress, etc. What code do you bill? 90837 (individual therapy) or 90847 (Family therapy). This information comes from the APA and my Psychologist agrees with this but I just completed an AAPC webinar on Behavioral Health Coding and Documentation and they told me to bill 90847, so I am royally confused!

This is from the APA guidelines(the psych board).

If a family member is brought into individual psychotherapy sessions intermittently or briefly, you don't have to bill these family codes. You can use individual psychotherapy codes, 90832, 90834 or 90837. Just make sure the intent of the session/s is not the family member's benefit. The patient can get some benefit by having the family member there, but if both people are benefiting, then you must use 90846 or 90847, since family sessions are about all individuals in the session benefiting from the service.

I would agree with the APA. In this case, I believe the AAPC is incorrect.

The scenario with children is very common. Just because the parent is present, does not mean it is group (family) therapy.