Wiki 92083

smaher82

Guru
Best answers
I have a provider asking me a question, she is stating that colleagues ( not employed by same practice ) are billing for giving glaucoma results. We bill 92083 for interpretation and report. I would think this included in this code but because she states this is being billed as telehealth??

Thoughts? TIA

They are billing for calling a patient and saying, "you don't have glaucoma, see you next year", or "your test results show some areas of concern, we need to schedule an appointment"??

They are billing for calling a patient and saying, "you don't have glaucoma, see you next year", or "your test results show some areas of concern, we need to schedule an appointment"??

I think My provider would be giving referral to see someone else, either way I wouldn't think this was billable.

I thought Telehealth was a call initiated by the patient? So now providers are wanting to charge to tell a patient the results of labs or tests? IMO, this is a major reason why coding and billing guidelines have to be meticulously written and carried out - to prevent charging from everything that is supposed to be a part of medical care.

Tell your provider to tell their colleagues who are billing for these "results calls" are violating at least waste and abuse criteria and possibly false claims guidelines. As a provider, I personally feel that the Interpretation and Report portion of the fee for these test includes giving the patient their results by phone if that's the best way to do so. In the words of one of my friends, what they're doing by billing for these calls, "doesn't pass the smell test."

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC