Wiki 93970

jdd111168

Networker
Best answers
I AM NEW TO CODING FOR RADIOLOGY AND THE CHARGES I POST ARE FOR HOSPITAL INPATIENT. MY QUESTION IS...YES OR NO DO I USE MODIFER 26 WITH THIS CPT CODE? THANKS!:confused:

Ah, but I am doing the professional component. Our Rads read for the hospital inpatients. So I would use modifer -26 then? The equipment is the hosp. The rads our mine. Gah! So confusing! I will learn this stuff though!:eek:

so who bills the TC portion?
I had it easy when I coded radiology for our hospital - we had to code both sides ;) so there was always a TC/26 (unless of course the code was specific to be pro/tech only)

Yes use -26 for professional component only

Well, JDenniston, we all learned a good lesson from this thread - be clear when you post your question. :)

I too, thought you were coding for the hospital from your first post, but now that I re-read it I can interpret it as being the radiologist who is reading the films.

Okay .. your radiologist is a separate entity, separate tax ID from the facility which owns the equipment. You would bill the radiology codes with -26 modifier.

Have a good weekend!
F Tessa Bartels, CPC

I work Medicare denials and know that Medicare requires a 26 modifier on professional charges for this CPT if done in ER or INPT. Office POS does not require a 26 modifier.

Sandy Mitchell CPC, RCC

Hi,

I too am a radiology coder, whose doctors are hospital based. I have 10 years radiology coding experience, anytime you have a question, please fill free to contact me directly at my email address sandra.mitchell@rahmail.net:)