Wiki 93975 vs 78761 vs 76870

nicoleysmith

Networker
Best answers
I work in a very small outpatient clinic and we don't have a coder who specializes in radiology. We saw a patient who received an ultrasound of the testicles, and the radiology department is requesting we bill 93975, 78761, and 76870. I don't understand the difference between these?

93975 in the CPT book reads: "duplex scan of arterial inflow and venous outflow of abdominal, pelvic, scrotal contents and/or retro-peritoneal organs; complete study"

78761 in the CPT book reads: "testicular imaging with vascular flow"

76870 in the CPT book reads: "ultrasound, scrotum and contents"

The radiology report reads: "duplex doppler color flow sonography, 2d ultrasound of vascular anatomy, and doppler spectral analysis was performed" followed by a description of the ultrasound results.

Normally if we perform an ultrasound plus a doppler study, we would add the doppler + the ultrasound code, but 78761 sounds like it includes the doppler - but then I don't understand when you would use 93975 for a scrotal doppler? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So The 78761 is actually a nuclear medicine imaging study and since this was all ultrasound that wouldn't be correct.

As long as all the documentation criteria is met for the 93975 I would capture 76870 and 93975 for that study. Here is documentation from Medlearn US Coder " Code 93975 requires evaluation of both arterial inflow and venous outflow, in addition to spectral waveform analysis and color flow doppler" "complete examination of the testicular blood supply, both inflow and outflow for possible torsion is reported with code 93975".
I hope this information is helpful