94664 Allergy Clinic

Jlyak@live.com

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Our providers are starting to bill 94664. I use supercoder for everything and per supercoder this is what it states:

The provider educates a patient on the use of an aerosol device, nebulizer, metered dose inhaler, or IPPB device and then has the patient demonstrate her understanding. He does this as part of the evaluation and management of a patient who needs this type of respiratory therapy.

Clinical Responsibility
The provider would instruct a patient on the proper usage of an aerosol device, nebulizer, metered dose inhaler, or IPPB device. The documentation should include details on the device the provider demonstrated and report the educational issues addressed and the patient’s response as well as his observation of the patient’s comprehension, accuracy, and appropriateness of utilization.

Since my providers do not outline anything in their note about this, I do not bill the code. I remove it from their charge list. The only thing they are saying in the note is "Inhaler Education" in a bullet point. Is anyone else's providers doing this and how do you make them understand what has to be in the note?