• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

95 Guidelines Exam

Lassal423

Best answers
I am auditing E/M notes, and I am struggling with giving credit for a Detailed or Comprehensive exam under the 95 guides.

The physicians document at least 8 organ systems for every patient (obviously a template), regardless of what they are being seen for. There isn't much detail for any of them and I don't know if I should be giving credit for a Comprehensive exam just because there are 8 OS documented? Should there be more details for each organ system?:confused:

Looking for opinions from other E/M coders or auditors....

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Leveling out your E/M code should not be based soley on your exam but your overall break down of each compnent, But as far as your specific question a statment of a OS being negative, I believe is sufficent enough to give them credit. You want to pay close attention the the systems being reviewed and make sure you have medical necessity.
I hope this helps...

Lynda wetter CPC

MnTwins29

True Blue
Best answers
Must be more detail

I don't have this document in front of me right now, but I do recall reading that there must be some detail of the documentation for at least 2 or 3 of the systems to reach the detailed and/or comprehensive level. Just saying "negative" for 7 systems will not give a detailed exam - only EPF. As soon as I find that document, I will post, unless someone else does before I do!