Wiki 96116 with 96118

RADCODER

Guru
Best answers
Hello,
I see that a neurologist is billing 96116 & 96118 and it seems that a computer is performing the exam and producing the results. Can the 96116 be performed by a computer and the Dr. signs off on the results? Or does it have to be a formal interview?
Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I see that a neurologist is billing 96116 & 96118 and it seems that a computer is performing the exam and producing the results. Can the 96116 be performed by a computer and the Dr. signs off on the results? Or does it have to be a formal interview?
Thanks in advance!

The CPT book has pretty solid guidance on these codes. 96116 and 96118 cannot be used for the use of a computer doing the test. 96116 and 96118 both state the time is face to face with the patient and that the test face to face is a time based code. Additionally, you can count the time used for the interpretation of the report.

96120 administered by a computer, with qualified health care professional interpretation and report.

If you?re looking for ?can the provider simple sign off on the test results?, again, I would say no, there would be no face to face during that time. I think even if the provider would stay in the room during the computerized test, it would defeat the purpose of the codes and would still not work out. 96116 and 96118 additionally say psychologist or physicians time - not a computer.