Wiki 96567 Photodynamic therapy mult areas

cchriste

Best answers
On the description for this procedure the coding definition says "each exposure session." (see below) what I'm wondering is ....is a "session" defined as per area on the body this is performed on or per day or what? I have a provider who is doing multiple areas of the body with multiple levulan sticks (one for each area normally). I haven't billed more than one area yet so I'm not sure if this px can be billed in quantities or not. Does anyone out there have experience with this and payment/denials in this area?

96567: Photodynamic therapy by external application of light to destroy premalignant and/or malignant lesions of the skin and adjacent mucosa (eg, lip) by activation of photosensitive drug(s), each phototherapy exposure session

Hi,
We bill for multiple exposures. If the patienst is getting repositioned for a different site to be exposed to light then it is a different exposure. The insurances are paying for it but some insurance have a frequency limitation so you will have to check your payors.

Julia