Wiki 97597 allowed in a global?

ahodge90

Networker
Best answers
I have a case where my podiatrist did a 90 global procedure. she is now seeing the Patient for a post op visit. She is wanting to bill 97597 for skin debridement on the ulcer that formed there. Can I bill 97597 with a 58? or is this going to be included into the global package?

Also, if there is a wound dehiscence of that surgical site and she debrides the skin, this means I cant bill in the clinic setting because I cant add a 78 due to the POS, right?

Any advice would be helpful!

Last edited:
It will depend to a certain extent on the documentation, but in general a superficial debridement does not meet the definition of a staged procedure for modifier 58, which is a procedure that is either planned in advance or which is more extensive that the original procedure. A debridement that is done simply to treat a complication or to aid in the healing of the surgical wound would be considered part of the postoperative care and not separately billable.

It will depend to a certain extent on the documentation, but in general a superficial debridement does not meet the definition of a staged procedure for modifier 58, which is a procedure that is either planned in advance or which is more extensive that the original procedure. A debridement that is done simply to treat a complication or to aid in the healing of the surgical wound would be considered part of the postoperative care and not separately billable.
thank you!