Wiki 99215 ???

djnall

Contributor
Best answers
I am reviewing some E/M coding and am stumped about these 2. Thoughts please.

First case - 18 month old comes in one day and diagnosis is epistaxis and impetigo. Bactroban prescription is given. Returns very next day for WCC and cellulitis Lt thigh & Rt knee. A WCC is done with the following information:
Nutritional history done
Current meds - claritin
NCSLV (no change since last visit - day before)
Physical assessment: height, weight, head circ, chest circ, temperature, pulse, respirations
Notations under exam: cellulitis lt thigh, r knee
Assessment
HBG 12/1
Oral lead risk is negative
Plan - 1 gm rocephin

Physician wants this coded as a 99215

Second case - 11 year old comes in for weight check and vomiting 4x's
Notations read:
NKDA
Current meds - stool softeners
Illness/Accident/ER/Hospitalization - none
NCSLV 1 month ago
CC: Loves to eat
vomiting - how long - last night 4 times, no f/d
weight/ pulse/ respirations taken
parent states: sneaking soda/ sweet tea
Expanded exam is done
Dx = Morbid obesity, allergic rhinitis ETD
35 minute counseling
claritin otc

99215???

In the first one, are you asking about the well child visit or the first visit? If well child, you would use well E&M 99392, and the cellulitis could be considered part of the well visit. If the provider documented enough to support the well visit and wants to charge a sick ov code as well, use a modifier and charge both.
If you were referring to just the first sick visit, there is no way the nature of presenting problem would support a 99215. (even if there is enough documentation in the chart not.)

The second one, it looks like provider is documenting time. With 35 minutes face to face, that would only be a 99214.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the help.
In the first scenario, I am referring to the 2nd well care visit. I'm not sure there is enough documentation to support both the wcc and the ov. I'm leaning towards the wcc.