Wiki 99291 in Neonatal Care

clbarry8033

Networker
Best answers
Just wondering if anyone knew if there were any other scenarios that CPT 99291 might be billed by a neonatal intensivist besides when transferring a critically ill neonate to another hospital?

I've been thinking about this question since you asked it in the other thread, and have not come up with any applicable scenarios where it would be appropriate to apply 99291 to a neonate other than when the patient is transferred to another hospital.

Pediatric critical care is all about the age of the patient.

Hopefully this article will help clarify this for you: https://www.aapc.com/blog/28723-your-guide-to-pediatric-critical-care/

I just came across this - page 24 of my 2017 CPT Professional says:
"To report critical care services provided in the outpatient setting (eg, emergency department or office), for neonates and pediatric patients up through 71 months of age, see the critical care codes 99291, 99292."
And
"Also report 99291-99292 for neonatal or pediatric critical care services provided by the individual providing critical care at one facility but transferring the patient to another facility. Critical care services provided by a second individual of a different specialty not reporting a per day neonatal or pediatric critical care code can be reported with codes 99291, 99292."

Discharge to another facility from Observation

Can my provide charge an Observation Discharge, 99217 and 99291 when transferring an infant to an another facility?