Wiki 99406!!! This code haunts me

buskeys

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Please give any advice with 99406!

We have so many issues with it. We have established what is and isn't medically necessary (providers are still not fully understanding that). We have had issues with modifier usage on this, time documentation, etc. I don't know why this code haunts me in every department that I am coding, but I am trying to compile all the information I can on it to make one giant provider education that can go out to all departments. Anything is appreciated!

To report the tobaccos cessation counseling codes, the patient must first be willing to attempt to try quitting, then it is recommended that the exact amount of time spent in counseling the patient be documented and not the range (i.e. 3-10 minutes) as well as documentation to support the content of the counseling - risks of continuing to use tobacco, benefits of quitting, strategies the patient can use to quit, setting a "quit" date. Don't forget to link a primary diagnosis such as F17.200 to support providing the service. Also keep in mind that Medicare has frequency limits on this code. They cover 2 separate attempts with up to 4 counseling sessions for each attempt. Thus, it is not payable more than 8 times per year, and other providers may be billing this service as well. Hope this helps some.

To report the tobaccos cessation counseling codes, the patient must first be willing to attempt to try quitting, then it is recommended that the exact amount of time spent in counseling the patient be documented and not the range (i.e. 3-10 minutes) as well as documentation to support the content of the counseling - risks of continuing to use tobacco, benefits of quitting, strategies the patient can use to quit, setting a "quit" date. Don't forget to link a primary diagnosis such as F17.200 to support providing the service. Also keep in mind that Medicare has frequency limits on this code. They cover 2 separate attempts with up to 4 counseling sessions for each attempt. Thus, it is not payable more than 8 times per year, and other providers may be billing this service as well. Hope this helps some.
Thank you! It does