Wiki 99441-99443 and billing a 99050

Best answers
My physician is wanting to start billing for after hours phone calls. If we bill a 99441-99443, can a 99050 be billed with it as well. I have never billed for after hour phone calls so this is new to me. Our office has been closing at 3:00pm due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but a nurse practitioner is answering after hour phone calls. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

In this case, it would be tough. If an NP is doing phone visits, then the office isn't technically closed (in my opinion). If you're on the exchange and everyone has gone home, then your office is closed. Think of it like this, if your office opens at 7am and you'll see people that call or show up, but you don't take appointments until 8 am, that one hour doesn't warrant the outside-regular-hours charge, because it's available and you are there. Also, if your regular offices hours are 8 to 5, then that's your regular hours, even if you close early for pandemic. Generally, the 99050 is to throw a couple of bucks onto the visit because someone has to go in and open the office outside of normal times.

Again, my opinion.