Wiki Aapc practicum for 1 year of experience

Norolyn7

Contributor
Best answers
Hello Everyone, Can someone please help me? I am currently a CPC-A having a very difficult time getting a start in the coding field. I absolutely love coding and have basically spent my whole career in the healthcare Dental setting. I am considering the AAPC practicum which includes 600 redacted questions to remove the apprentice status from my credential. Can someone please give me some guidance/feedback about doing this??? Has anyone done this and had good success with employers? Thanks so much! :):):)

Question for you. In your time in the dental field, especially the most recent years, have you been involved in billing and coding for dental care for the patients seen in the office you work in?
If so, you may be able to get credit for that time towards ending your apprentice status.
I'm an optometrist and even though I wasn't employed in a coding position, I had been doing consulting work over the last few years which involved lots of billing and coding education for my clients' offices plus teaching them about ICD-10 coding. I was given credit for that and the apprentice designation was removed from my certification.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC

Hello and Thanks so much for your response. In the private dental office setting, I worked the front desk which included completing dental prior authorizations and completing claim forms with dental codes along with other front desk responsibilities. The Provider that I worked for passed away in January 2014. I helped with claims off and on part time for about 14 years. Thanks again!;)

I had my past and current employers write letters of recommendation prior to taking my exam. I imagine if you are able to submit something to AAPC that they will remove your -A?

Lindsey Gallo, CPC