Wiki Abnormal Findings and Screenings

anne32

Guru
Best answers
So in ICD-9 if a patient was screened for diabetes and it turns out the patient was diabetic, we would code the screening and then the diabetes. 1) V77.1 2) 250.00 ....I'm confused how this works with ICD-10 during a well adult exam. If the diabetes was discovered during a well adult exam, we would code Z00.01 and then the abnormal finding 250.00. Would we still code Z13.1- diabetes screen?

Yes you code the screening, but I am curious, did the physician document that the patient is a type 2 diabetic based on this screening result? Usually a lot more goes into determining a diagnosis of diabetes. And just because they are an adult would not automatically be a type 2. I am puzzled as I have never had a provider based a diagnosis of diabetes on just a screening result.

Yes, sometimes the patient has other symptoms as well, but the provider will document newly diagnosed DM and will start them on medication. The A1c is sometimes a 9 or 10. I code the type 2 since they do not specify the type. ....So how would this be sequenced? Z00.01, E11.65. Z11.3? And then any additional screenings like Z13.220, Z13.0 etc?