Wiki Aborted Procedure Anesthesia Coding

lauriepaul1115

Contributor
Best answers
I am hoping for some feedback on this one. I have an anesthesiologist who did the anesthesia for a hardware placement and spinal fusion. The anesthesia was initiated and the IONM was started. As a result of the findings on the IONM the ortho decided to abort the procedure. My question is do we base the anesthesia on the CPT's for the hardware palcement and spinal fusion with a 53 modifier? or Do we use the 95939 as the basis for the anesthesia ( which I cannot find a crosswalk to)? My thought is the first option, however we have a difference of opinion. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - BTW the ortho did not start the procedure he decided to abort based on the findings in the IONM.

I am hoping for some feedback on this one. I have an anesthesiologist who did the anesthesia for a hardware placement and spinal fusion. The anesthesia was initiated and the IONM was started. As a result of the findings on the IONM the ortho decided to abort the procedure. My question is do we base the anesthesia on the CPT's for the hardware palcement and spinal fusion with a 53 modifier? or Do we use the 95939 as the basis for the anesthesia ( which I cannot find a crosswalk to)? My thought is the first option, however we have a difference of opinion. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - BTW the ortho did not start the procedure he decided to abort based on the findings in the IONM.

We bill the primary procedure [CPT's for the hardware placement] with the 53, when the anesthesia record states "cancelled after induction".