Wiki Abscess Coding Question

Best answers
So, I'm doing the AAPC CPC Study Guide and Ch 5 has a question that reads "A 4-year-old presents with an upper arm abscess in the subcutaneous tissue. An I&D is performed. Pus is expressed and dry gauze dressing is applied. The procedure is coded as:
A. 10060
B. 10061
C. 23930
D. 10180"

They say that the correct answer is A, going Incision and Drainage/Abscess/Skin.
Why would it not be C, though, for Upper Arm?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

10060-10061, defines the procedure as “incision and drainage of abscess (carbuncle, suppurative hidradenitis, cutaneous or subcutaneous abscess, cyst, furuncle, or paronychia); simple or single and complex or multiple

23930 is more extensive (deep abscess or hematoma). Here is an article that might help explain that.
https://codingmastery.com/2017/11/11/incision-drainage/

Hopefully that helps.

The 10060 is for an I&D at the subcutaneous level which is what the patient had. The 23930 is for a deep abscess below the subcutaneous level.

Thanks. I took it to Upper Arm and couldn't figure out why the generic Skin was correct.

Any advice on situations like this for the future?

Sorry for such a late reply, but my advice would be that if you are coding a dermatologist's work, always look first in the dermatology section.

There are a few dermatology codes that come from other sections, but there are so few of them that you can just remember which ones they are, ie:

biopsy of ear, eyelid margin, lip, or mouth
biopsy, destruction, or I&D of genitals
Botox on axilla or palms
lipoma deeper than sub-q

Those are the only ones I am aware of!