Wiki Absent FNP provider

scubaruth

Contributor
Best answers
We have an FNP that can not come back to the office due to her medical situation. My question is, is the MD that has been signing off on her notes able to finish and sign any unfinished notes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any info specific to our situation anywhere :(.

We have an FNP that can not come back to the office due to her medical situation. My question is, is the MD that has been signing off on her notes able to finish and sign any unfinished notes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any info specific to our situation anywhere :(.

Yes. For the providers I code for, some are FNPs, LPNs, etc. Some, well most, aren't credentialed, so we bill them under the provider. This is absolutely normal and viable. The "resource" is noted as the nurse, but the provider is the one who signs the note and attests that it is accurate and he agrees with the findings.

Sorry, I forgot to ask if the chart notes have to have both doctors signatures on them or is just the MD's signature ok?

If the MD did not see the patient on the same day then he could not complete the note and bill the service. If the MD is not in the office at the time the patient was seen then you cannot bill under the MD NPI. Just because a provider is not credentialed does not mean you just bill the services using the MD NPI. You must meet the qualifications of an incident to encounter to be able to do this.

All the doctors use the same NPI, so they get billed the same anyway. Does that able us to bill under the Supervising Doctor?

All the doctors use the same NPI, so they get billed the same anyway. Does that able us to bill under the Supervising Doctor?

The doctors should not be sharing the rendering NPI, They can share a group NPI but either actual rendering or if incident to guidelines were met then MD NPI can be put on.

I agree, the provider billing should never be submitted using the same NPI under rendering provider. Each provider must be individually credentialed and each must possess a unique NPI. The provider rendering the service is the NPI that must be submitted on the claim as the rendering provider. If the provider is a non credentialed NP or PA and if the service has met the requirements for incident-to service, then the provider that is in the office suite area at the time of the encounter will use their unique NPI as the supervising provider. The rendering/supervising NPI goes in field 24J of the claim. It cannot be the same NPI for all services rendered unless the same provider is rendering all services or is in the office supervising qualified personnel.