Wiki Acupuncture for post-op pain?

mnmd9488

Contributor
Best answers
Hello!

I have one of our anesthesiologist stating they are using acupuncture as a form of pain relief for kids, mainly for tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy procedure. Has anyone seen this before? I don't believe we can bill for this because the only codes are time based and she doesn't track the time since the needles are placed while pt is still under anesthesia

Hello!

I have one of our anesthesiologist stating they are using acupuncture as a form of pain relief for kids, mainly for tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy procedure. Has anyone seen this before? I don't believe we can bill for this because the only codes are time based and she doesn't track the time since the needles are placed while pt is still under anesthesia
Hi there, I think you need to start with the coverage policies for acupuncture and post-operative pain management for the plans you'd be billing. Coverage of acupuncture is still limited. I haven't seen a payer that covers acupuncture for POP, although I've seen a couple that cover it for PONV.