Wiki Acute abdominal pain in pregnancy - ICD 10

O99.89 Other diseases and conditions complicating pregnancy/childbirth
You would report the code for the site of the abdominal pain (RUQ, LUQ...)
Then the Z3A.x for the amount of weeks pregnant

carmenb

incidental

I have a question regarding same scenario but the doc documents acute ab pain not due to pregnancy. Wouldn't this code to R10.9 unspecified ab pain and 2 dx z33.1 pregnant state incidental ?
I ask because I had this counted against me.

I have a question regarding same scenario but the doc documents acute ab pain not due to pregnancy. Wouldn't this code to R10.9 unspecified ab pain and 2 dx z33.1 pregnant state incidental ?
I ask because I had this counted against me.

According to the guidelines:

"Should the provider document that the pregnancy is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1, Pregnant state, incidental, should be used in place of any Chapter 15 codes. It is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy."

Since the doctor specifically documented the pain was not due to the pregnancy, I would code the pregnancy as incidental.

According to the guidelines:

"Should the provider document that the pregnancy is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1, Pregnant state, incidental, should be used in place of any Chapter 15 codes. It is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy."

Since the doctor specifically documented the pain was not due to the pregnancy, I would code the pregnancy as incidental.

to add to this question . what would be the right diagnoses to assign if patient come in for ab pain but then after workup finale diagnosis by provider is pregnancy. what would be the final diagnosis?

Hi, I have a question:
Patient was admitted in internal medicine for “Hematemesis after having food from outside” patient is 34 weeks pregnant. Internal medicine physician requested consultation from OBG . Ob Gyne physician has seen the patient she ordered CTG and ultrasound. There was no documentation from physician that Hematemesis is not affecting pregnancy.
Now my colleagues asking me to code Hematemesis &Z33.1 incidental pregnancy. But I wanted to code pregnancy complications because the word “incidental” doesn’t require any workup . Please advise.