Wiki acute vs chronic

Mrsrpc

Guru
Best answers
The patient had his status post metatarsal fracture, treated with internal fiixation. Patient has suffered pain due to hardware for the past six months.(The diagnosis is confirmed in the body of the report.) Patient's pain has been unresponsive to conservative treatment. We discussed the above-mentioned surgery, along with the potential risks and complications, and the patient understood and wished to proceed.

I chose G89.28 Other Chronic Postprocedure pain due to the documentation of 6 months duration of pain and failure to respond to conservative treatment. The answer is "acute" S89.18 I'm 100% certain I would make the same mistake again because is SPECIFICALLY stated 6 months of pain. How can I look at this so I don't make the same mistake again?

The patient had his status post metatarsal fracture, treated with internal fiixation. Patient has suffered pain due to hardware for the past six months.(The diagnosis is confirmed in the body of the report.) Patient's pain has been unresponsive to conservative treatment. We discussed the above-mentioned surgery, along with the potential risks and complications, and the patient understood and wished to proceed.

I chose G89.28 Other Chronic Postprocedure pain due to the documentation of 6 months duration of pain and failure to respond to conservative treatment. The answer is "acute" S89.18 I'm 100% certain I would make the same mistake again because is SPECIFICALLY stated 6 months of pain. How can I look at this so I don't make the same mistake again?

The provider specifically has to make the diagnostic statement that it is chronic. Coders can't interpret diagnostic criteria - the diagnosis has to come from the provider.

The below is from the ICD-10 guidelines:

Postoperative Pain
The provider’s documentation should be used to guide the coding of postoperative pain, as well as Section III. Reporting Additional Diagnoses and Section IV. Diagnostic Coding and Reporting in the Outpatient Setting. The default for post-thoracotomy and other postoperative pain not specified as acute or chronic is the code for the acute form.