Wiki Adding new body parts

Jpad

Networker
Best answers
I'm billing/coding for workers' compensation cases, and I have questions regarding Initial vs. Subsequent.

1.) When we add additional body parts in the middle of ongoing treatments, what 7th character will be used?

For instance, during a subsequent encounter for a particular body site (i.e. pain of hand), the patient raises an issue regarding the pain of the arm or the wrist. During the visit, the physician addressed the complaint with several treatments (may or may not be considered active treatments). Would the 7th code be initial or subsequent? What if the new body part/issue the patient is complaining of is irrelevant to the initial body part being complained about (i.e. initial body part in pain was the hand & now the patient is complaining of insomnia). The issues may or may not have been brought about by an injury in the work place.

2.) What comprises active treatments vs. comfort care?

3.) If the PTP referred the patient to a new doctor/facility for acupuncture/chiro for treatment of sprains/pains, would the treatments be considered under Initial still?

Last edited: