Wiki additional anastomosis

docndent

Best answers
My surgeon did and free flap (15756) and wonders if there is a code for an additional vein anastomosis code? Any one have a code or should we just upcode with a modifier -22? Thanks

The CPT description includes vein anastomosis. Sometimes a sx doesnt go as well as anticipated, or work may need to be done that usually isnt, but that does not always justify billing modifier 22 or adding another code. Just as when a surgery goes better than usual, takes less time, etc you dont bill it with modifier -52.

Yes, I understand but he did more than one vein anastomosis - like supercharging in the Free TRAM flap. But this was done on a lower extremity. Is there a way to code for the extra work done?

I would and have billed something like that with mod -22. Be prepared to submit medical records, and a precise letter describing the additional work performed. You'll also want to make sure that when the claim does pay, that it was in fact processed with mod -22. I often have to call and have the claim with this modifier reprocessed to allow for additional payment.