Wiki Adhesions of omentum with TAH

rpatterson

Contributor
Best answers
Is it ok to code lysis of adhesions (44004, 44180, or 58660) in conjunction with a laparoscopic TAH (58570 or 58571). It does add time to the procedure that would not be necessary if the adhesions were not there. I see this on a lot of op notes and it is always documented as adhesions to omentum. The current op note that I am looking at states "...the omentum that was adhesed to the left tube and ovary were lysed with cold Endo shears. Hemostasis was excellent. When this was done, the fallopian tube was resected from the fimbriated end through the endosalpinx to the utero ovarian ligament which was then transected across the round ligament, and most of the cardinal ligament..."
I believe that it is necessary to remove the adhesions when the TAH is performed, so it could be included, however it does take longer to do the procedure and I do not want to loose any revenue if it is ok to code it as an additional procedure. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.
:confused:

The codes for lysis of adhesions are "separate procedure" codes. Removal of adhesions is bundled. If the provider documents that they were extensive or took significant time to take down, you can bill with a 22 modifier.

No, I am referring to the CPT code. Several CPT Assistants are conflicting on which code to use. Thank you

No, I am referring to the CPT code. Several CPT Assistants are conflicting on which code to use. Thank you
So the question at the top was written back in 2015 and answered then. Is your add-on question referring to this particular surgery or a different surgery. Lysis of adhesions coding will depend on the site being freed up (bowel, omentum/abdominal/peritoneal, or ovary/fallopian tubes), the extent of the adhesions, and which additional procedures might be reported at the same surgery. I have not found there are any conflicting opinions of use of these codes.

If the adhesions are hampering the ovaries and tubes you go with 58660. Per the CPT Assistant (Q&A December 2011): ...while code 58660, Laparoscopy, surgical; with lysis of adhesions (salpingolysis, ovariolysis) (separate procedure), involves endoscopic inspection and evaluation of the abdomen and pelvis, it represents uterine adnexal (ie, fallopian tubes, ovaries functionally and structurally adjacent to the uterus), adhesiolysis of any degree performed by any method. Code 58660 may be reported in addition to the primary procedure, only if dense/extensive adhesions are encountered that require effort beyond that which is ordinarily provided for the laparoscopic procedure. As code 58660 is designated as a separate procedure, modifier 59, Distinct Procedural Service, should be appended to indicate that code 58660 is not considered an integral component of the other procedure(s).

In this same Q&A they further state: There is no specific CPT code for laparoscopic lysis of omental/abdominal adhesions. Because adhesions may complicate the successful performance of the laparoscopic procedure, lysis of adhesions is often the first the exploration and may not be coded separately. If the adhesions are extensive and take significant additional work, code 49329, Unlisted laparoscopy procedure, abdomen, peritoneum and omentum, may be reported in addition to the primary procedure. Documentation must reflect the additional work required for the removal (lysis) of dense adhesions.

You should note that there is no CPT code for an open abdominal removal of omental, peritoneal or abdominal adhesions and therefore if this was extensive work and reportable during say a TAH/BSO, I would add a modifier -22 to the base code rather than using an unlisted code because there is no unlisted code that represents an open approach that matches 49329.

If the adhesions are being removed from the bowel (bowel to bowel, bowel to omentum, bowel to peritoneum, bowel to abdominal wall) you go with one of 2 different codes depending on the surgical approach. The codes 44005 and 44180 deal only with the removal of adhesions from the intestines, not omental, abdominal or peritoneal adhesions. If the adhesions are removed to get to the operative site and are not documented as extensive, you don't code for them at all. If the adhesions are removed from a different area from the other procedure and not related to it, or are very extensive you can bill the appropriate code that describes the type of adhesions targeted via the approach documented (open or laparoscopic).

However, CCI bundles all 3 of the specific lysis codes most of time with other surgeries simply because they are labeled as a 'separate procedure' in CPT. In many of those instances, the CCI edit does not permit a modifier -59 to be used to bypass the edit (as recommended by CPT) so your only option in that case may be to use a modifier -22. But only if the documentation clearly shows the extensive additional work performed. Statement like "lysed dense adhesions on omentum/bowel/ovaries" would not be sufficient in my book as it does not fully describe the additional work both in time, risk and effort.

So the question at the top was written back in 2015 and answered then. Is your add-on question referring to this particular surgery or a different surgery. Lysis of adhesions coding will depend on the site being freed up (bowel, omentum/abdominal/peritoneal, or ovary/fallopian tubes), the extent of the adhesions, and which additional procedures might be reported at the same surgery. I have not found there are any conflicting opinions of use of these codes.

If the adhesions are hampering the ovaries and tubes you go with 58660. Per the CPT Assistant (Q&A December 2011): ...while code 58660, Laparoscopy, surgical; with lysis of adhesions (salpingolysis, ovariolysis) (separate procedure), involves endoscopic inspection and evaluation of the abdomen and pelvis, it represents uterine adnexal (ie, fallopian tubes, ovaries functionally and structurally adjacent to the uterus), adhesiolysis of any degree performed by any method. Code 58660 may be reported in addition to the primary procedure, only if dense/extensive adhesions are encountered that require effort beyond that which is ordinarily provided for the laparoscopic procedure. As code 58660 is designated as a separate procedure, modifier 59, Distinct Procedural Service, should be appended to indicate that code 58660 is not considered an integral component of the other procedure(s).

In this same Q&A they further state: There is no specific CPT code for laparoscopic lysis of omental/abdominal adhesions. Because adhesions may complicate the successful performance of the laparoscopic procedure, lysis of adhesions is often the first the exploration and may not be coded separately. If the adhesions are extensive and take significant additional work, code 49329, Unlisted laparoscopy procedure, abdomen, peritoneum and omentum, may be reported in addition to the primary procedure. Documentation must reflect the additional work required for the removal (lysis) of dense adhesions.

You should note that there is no CPT code for an open abdominal removal of omental, peritoneal or abdominal adhesions and therefore if this was extensive work and reportable during say a TAH/BSO, I would add a modifier -22 to the base code rather than using an unlisted code because there is no unlisted code that represents an open approach that matches 49329.

If the adhesions are being removed from the bowel (bowel to bowel, bowel to omentum, bowel to peritoneum, bowel to abdominal wall) you go with one of 2 different codes depending on the surgical approach. The codes 44005 and 44180 deal only with the removal of adhesions from the intestines, not omental, abdominal or peritoneal adhesions. If the adhesions are removed to get to the operative site and are not documented as extensive, you don't code for them at all. If the adhesions are removed from a different area from the other procedure and not related to it, or are very extensive you can bill the appropriate code that describes the type of adhesions targeted via the approach documented (open or laparoscopic).

However, CCI bundles all 3 of the specific lysis codes most of time with other surgeries simply because they are labeled as a 'separate procedure' in CPT. In many of those instances, the CCI edit does not permit a modifier -59 to be used to bypass the edit (as recommended by CPT) so your only option in that case may be to use a modifier -22. But only if the documentation clearly shows the extensive additional work performed. Statement like "lysed dense adhesions on omentum/bowel/ovaries" would not be sufficient in my book as it does not fully describe the additional work both in time, risk and effort.
Thank you for taking the time to discuss this with me. My confusion is with the use of unlisted CPT code 49329. In the same scenario as the 2015 question above, I am being told to use unlisted CPT 49329 with laparoscopic TAH in the hospital setting in addition to the laparoscopic TAH code. CPT 58660 describes the procedure in her question above however due to NCCI edits, we are not allowed to code lysis of adhesions with another surgery even with a modifier. In the hospital setting, we do not use modifier 22. The NCCI Manual clearly states that laparoscopic lysis of adhesions (CPT codes 44180 and 58660) is not separately reportable with other surgical laparoscopic procedures. Also, see CPT Assistant, October 2013 page 18 and CPT Assistant, July 2018 page 14 that states not to code lysis of adhesions (open or laparoscopic) as it is designated as "separate procedure", and therefore, would not be reported with a more definitive procedure in the same anatomic area, including a hernia repair. As a hospital coder I would not code lysis of adhesions even if they are extensive or time consuming because of the NCCI edits. In the two CPT Assistants, it mentions use of modifier 22 which is towards physician billing only. I feel the first part of the Answer is stating not to code lysis of adhesions, however, if you are billing for a physician and the lysis was extensive then add modifier 22 to the hernia repair code. I am being told that these two CPT Assistants are for professional billing only and does not pertain to hospital billing which I disagree with. I feel there are only two codes for laparoscopic lysis of adhesions which are 44180 and 58660. The CPT Assistant from 2013 references abdominal adhesions and it states NOT to use unlisted 49329. I feel there needs to be clarification from CPT Assistant on what hospital based billing should be using. The use of CPT 49329 with LAH or any other laparoscopic procedure is unbundling.

Thank you again Nielynco, I appreciate your feedback!!