Wiki Admin codes for HIB, MMR, and DTAP

Best answers
Good afternoon ,

I need help with coding the administration for the HIB,MMR, and DTAP vaccinations. From my understanding is that you would use an administration code for each vaccine but I was told that this was incorrect. The HIB vaccine has 2 components , MMR has 4 components , and DTAP has 5 components. Do I use an administration code for each components?

Thanks
A confused coder

Your administration would depend on if it was with a wellness / em or a nurse visit. 90460 is for the first component of each short 90461 if for the remaining combined total of components but if it is just a nurse visit you would do 90471 for the first shot and 90472 for each additional shot.
with a wellness or visit
90460 X3
90461X4

Nurse visit only
or 90471 X1
90472 x2

Vaccine administration

Hi,

It is important to recognize the difference in codes 90460-90461 and 90471-90474. If the patient is 18-years-old or younger AND a physician or other qualified health care professional (e.g., NP, PA) provides counseling on each component (disease risk, vaccine risk) of the vaccines, codes 90460-90461 are reported. If the patient is 19 or older OR there was no counseling by a physician or other qualified health care professional regarding the vaccine components, codes 90471-90474 are appropriate. Codes 90460-90461 are per component while codes 90471-90474 are per vaccine product.

If your practice provides Vaccine for Children (state supplied vaccines), be sure to follow the state's guidelines for reporting these vaccines and administration.

I hope this helps. You can read more on this in the AAPC knowledge center at https://www.aapc.com/blog/40074-words-of-wisdom-for-pediatric-preventive-care-claims/.

Best wishes,
Cindy

Good afternoon ,

I need help with coding the administration for the HIB,MMR, and DTAP vaccinations. From my understanding is that you would use an administration code for each vaccine but I was told that this was incorrect. The HIB vaccine has 2 components , MMR has 4 components , and DTAP has 5 components. Do I use an administration code for each components?

Thanks
A confused coder