• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Admit / Discharge Same Date of Service

susanwarth

Best answers
I would like to know if anyone else has ever come across this scenario - and been paid for it!

We discharge a patient from medical service and bill a 99238 with mod-25. Then we re-admit that patient on the same day to the rehab unit and bill an admit code with a different place of service.

We have several payors that will not pay us for the d/c.

Can anyone help me? I would appreciate it!!

Lisa Bledsoe

True Blue
Best answers
When you say rehab, are you referring to a SNF? Are you using the Initial Nursing Facility Care codes (99304 - 99306)? It's been a long time since I've been involved in this scenario but that's what we did at a previous office I worked at, and as far as I know there were no problems. Then again, that was a while back...

jas0426

Networker
Best answers
You are allowed to bill a d/c from a hospital and an admit to a SNF on the same day. As far as to rehab, not really sure because I know we bill to some rehab centers that are still considered inpatent hospital and not SNF. Depends what the facility is considered I guess.

susanwarth

Best answers
No - its not a SNF - It is only a rehab floor in the hospital for which one of my docs does admissions - they are being d/c from the regular floor to rehab and we aren't getting paid for both services even with a modifier.......

Just wanted to know if anyone experienced the same thing! Thanks for your help!