Wiki Admitted to hospital from office

bethsanders

Contributor
Best answers
I am fairly new with the coding in this type of practice. I have come across where a patient was seen in the office. The doctor performed a couple of procedures. This is patient is new.

After procedures were preformed, doctor admitted patient to the hospital directly from the office.

I am being told to bill just the procedures without the consult, then create a new ticket for the hospital admission(99223). On the other hand I am being told to charge the consult with the procedures and not to bill the hospital admission. Which way is right?

Thank you
Beth Sanders, CPC

I am fairly new with the coding in this type of practice. I have come across where a patient was seen in the office. The doctor performed a couple of procedures. This is patient is new.

After procedures were preformed, doctor admitted patient to the hospital directly from the office.

I am being told to bill just the procedures without the consult, then create a new ticket for the hospital admission(99223). On the other hand I am being told to charge the consult with the procedures and not to bill the hospital admission. Which way is right?

Thank you
Beth Sanders, CPC

Bill the procedures w/o visit code and then bill for the hospital admission.:)

admit

It also depends on whether the physician saw the patient in the hospital that day, if not you cannot charge the 99221-99223. You would charge it the next day on initial visit. The other variable is what procedures were performed and if there is a global period involved.

LeeAnn