Wiki AICD to Pacemaker

cvmartin

Best answers
I have a patient that has end of life for a AICD (he has a history of a pacemaker followed by upgrade to resynchronization ICD), he comes in for the generator replacement on the ICD and since he was stable the physician elected to replace the AICD with a pacemaker. He abandoned the left ventricular and right atrial leads. He then says he connected the implantable cardioverter-defibrillator right ventricular sense lead and the previously implanted right ventricular pacemaker lead to a new dual chamber permanent pacemaker. I see every coding scenario but AICD to Pacemaker. Any thoughts? or am I just overthinking it?

This is just a suggestion but, you may want to look at

33241: Removal without replacement of AICD generator and
33213: Insertion of pacemaker pulse generator only; with existing dual leads.

This is only a suggestion. This is a good place to start as both codes can be billed together! Please research prior to submission.

Thanks and hope this helps you!

I have a patient that has end of life for a AICD (he has a history of a pacemaker followed by upgrade to resynchronization ICD), he comes in for the generator replacement on the ICD and since he was stable the physician elected to replace the AICD with a pacemaker. He abandoned the left ventricular and right atrial leads. He then says he connected the implantable cardioverter-defibrillator right ventricular sense lead and the previously implanted right ventricular pacemaker lead to a new dual chamber permanent pacemaker. I see every coding scenario but AICD to Pacemaker. Any thoughts? or am I just overthinking it?

post the whole report with out the personal info and lets see exactly what he did.

You are quite welcome :)
As I said in my initial reply THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTION you will need to read the entire operative note and be sure what the physician actually performed during this procedure. Then and only then can you accurately code the operative report.