Wiki AK Statute of Limitaitons

mpartinico

Best answers
Hi there, I'm newer to AK, wondering if anyone knows the statute of limitations on insurances coming back to collect on overpayments in the state of Alaska?

Last edited:
The regulation is not enforceable for federal government plans, self-funded plans, or policies issued outside the state.

This caught my eye. Here in California, if you sell health insurance in the state, or your employee lives in the state, you have to abide by the state laws. When I was in mental health, California passed a mental health parity law before there was a federal parity law. That meant that certain mental health dx had to be treated the same as any physical dx. So if someone had a $10 office copay for the flu, then they had a $10 office copay for Major Depression, for example. Some out of state plans would process with separate mental health benefits (worse coverage), and every single time I appealed, I was successful in having them reprocessed and paid. Usually it only took one instance of this and then all of the following claims would pay correctly.

Self-insured plans were exempt in the state parity law.