Alert to customer service on OBGYN July Newsletter

Best answers
It seems like the Title of the article does not match with it's context. I would like to bring this to your attention.
Ob-Gyn Coding Alert
Reader Questions: Can You Bill Colposcopy During PP Exam?
- Published on Wed, Jul 12, 2023
"The patient wanted the cord blood collected for a cryopreservation - cell kit."

It seems like the Title of the article does not match with it's context. I would like to bring this to your attention.
Ob-Gyn Coding Alert
"The patient wanted the cord blood collected for a cryopreservation - cell kit."
I will pass this on to the editor. Thanks for the heads up.

Ob-Gyn Coding Alert
I have passed it on, but can tell you that in the copy that I edited for the writer for this issue, this question was separate from the one on the cord blood and the titles for each question pertained to that question:

Can You Bill Colposcopy During PP Exam?

Question:
If a patient has a colposcopy done during her postpartum (PP) exam, is a modifier needed to avoid having it denied as “part of global period?”

Tennessee Subscriber
Answer: Depends on whether you are also billing for the PP exam that day. If you are, then yes, add a modifier 25 (Significant, separately identifiable evaluation and management service by the same physician or other qualified health care professional on the same day of the procedure or other service) to the code that represents the visit. If you have already billed for global care (which includes PP care) prior to this visit, then no. Just bill the colposcopy.

Use Autologous Dx for Blood Cord Collections

Question: My ob-gyn saw a patient who had a normal spontaneous vaginal delivery over midline episiotomy. He helped deliver the placenta spontaneously with intact 3-vessels cord. Then, he repaired the episiotomy; and the patient tolerated the procedure well. The patient wanted the cord blood collected for a cryopreservation -- cell kit. Should I report a code for the collection of cord blood? If so, what is it?

Nevada Subscriber
Answer: Collection of cord blood is not covered by all payers, but the best way to try and get paid is to report CPT® code 59899-51 (Unlisted procedure, maternity care and delivery; multiple procedure) with a supporting diagnosis of Z52.011 (Autologous donor, stem cells).