Wiki Allergy Status Codes

Best answers
Hi everyone,

So... I have a question about ICD10 allergy codes. Let's say a kid comes into the office and has a documented allergy to peanuts, however he is not having a reaction. He is in the office to renew his EpiPen. Since he still currently has the allergy, is this a situation where I can use Z91.010? The guidelines specify it as a status code, however it is also used as a history code? Even if this isn't the right situation to use Z91.010, when is the appropriate time to use this code?

I am super confused about this... :confused: please help!

Thanks!
Carolyn

It is confusing. The ICD-9-CM guidelines directly addressed this, "There are two types of history V codes, personal and family. Personal history codes explain a patient's past medical condition that no longer exists and is not receiving any treatment, but that has the potential for recurrence, and therefore may require continued monitoring. The exceptions to this general rule are category V14, Personal history of allergy to medicinal agents, and subcategory V15.0, Allergy, other than to medicinal agents. A person who has had an allergic episode to a substance or food in the past should always be considered allergic to the substance." The ICD-10-CM guidelines do not include the codes in subcategory Z91.0 in the list of codes that are history codes and does include Z91.0 as a status code described as "A status code is distinct from a history code. The history code indicates that the patient no longer has the condition."

Based on this the status code is correct because the patient is considered to always have the allergy.
Cindy