Wiki Ambulance ALS Runs

vjst222

Best answers
Can anyone please help me? I have been doing ambulance billing for about 3 years. I keep getting different input. I am trying to make sure I am coding the ALS Emergency run correctly. Our ambulance service pairs a Paramedic and an EMT-B/ or Advanced on every truck. There is also one truck dedicated to BLS runs only. When dispatch calls our ALS medic truck out on a 911 call, the Paramedic does the assesment on the patient and if they feel it can be turned over to the Basic or Advance EMT then the patient care will be turned over to the EMT-B/A. (for example: Dispatch sends them on a 911 call on a chest pain, when the ambulance gets there it is actually not a chest pain but abdominal pain. The Paramedic takes vitals,talks to patient, and decides his partner (the EMT-B) can take this run.) Does that automatically make this run a BLS run, which means billing it as A0429 ? I thought if the paramedic assesed the patient on an ALS truck and then determined the patient could be treated by the Advanced or Basic EMT than it was still billed as A0427?

Another question, can an Advance EMT(in the state of INdiana) ever bill for A0427?