Wiki Ambulance code A0998

amserianni

Best answers
Just wondering if this code requires any modifiers. I have seen it billed with RR modifier and no mileage. I think this would be incorrect because RR would be from one residence to another. The definition of the code is "Ambulance response and treatment, no transport" So I believe would describe when an ambulance arrives to a scene and provides service and releases without transport. Just looking for some other input on this.

Thank you,
Adam

You could actually report -RR if the ambulance is responding to a patient's residence. If you look in the beginning of the transportation section in HCPCS there is a brief guideline about modifiers for ambulance services, and the modifiers are basically two characters that represent origin and destination. R means residience, hence -RR. Another option would be -SS, since S means Scene. And yes you would not report mileage because they are not transporting. Hope that helps.

HCPCS A0998 Question

Can anyone tell me what the HCPCS fee schedule amount would be for A0998? Also, is this code payable for commercial insurance carriers?