Wiki Amputation clarification needed

solocoder

Expert
Best answers
I've tried researching it, but I am still not clear on what "partial" traumatic amputation actually means. Does it mean a PART of a body part, toe for example, has been completely removed? Or does it mean that any part, (or all) of the toe has been "partially" cut off but still attached by some tissue?
If I see a photo in a note that shows half of a toe is GONE, is that a partial amputation? Or complete?
Thanks.

Here is what I found:

If an accident or trauma results in complete amputation (the body part is totally severed), the part sometimes can be reattached, often when proper care is taken of the severed part and stump, or residual limb.

In a partial amputation, some soft-tissue connection remains. Depending on how severe the injury is, the partially severed extremity may or may not be able to be reattached.

I've tried researching it, but I am still not clear on what "partial" traumatic amputation actually means. Does it mean a PART of a body part, toe for example, has been completely removed? Or does it mean that any part, (or all) of the toe has been "partially" cut off but still attached by some tissue?
If I see a photo in a note that shows half of a toe is GONE, is that a partial amputation? Or complete?
Thanks.
In my experience, partial amputation means part of a body part. Like a partial toe amputation is removing part of the toe, but not the whole thing. An example would be amputating the distal phalanx of patient's toe, but leaving the proximal section intact. To confirm part of your question, if you see half a toe in a picture removed, then it's a partial amputation, since the whole toe was not removed.

A partial amputation is one in which an anatomical structure, such as a ligament, tendon or muscle, is still intact between the body and the amputated anatomy. Although the body part may not be functional at the time and complete amputation may appear to be imminent, the body part is still connected to the body