Wiki Anesthesia Billing

Prada

Contributor
Best answers
Can regional and general anesthesia for the same Surgery be reported separately?

Same anesthesiologist performed both regional and general anesthesia for an Open Shoulder Surgery.
01992 -7:28- 7:49 am
01630 - 7:50-9:43 am

A different anesthesiologist also administered an Interscalene block for post pain control.

Any inputs on how to bill these. Thank you

Can regional and general anesthesia for the same Surgery be reported separately?

Same anesthesiologist performed both regional and general anesthesia for an Open Shoulder Surgery.
01992 -7:28- 7:49 am
01630 - 7:50-9:43 am

A different anesthesiologist also administered an Interscalene block for post pain control.

Any inputs on how to bill these. Thank you
Yes, you may bill both if the nerve block is documented as being requested by the surgeon for post-operative pain management.

It will look like this:

Dr. A : 01630 (for the general anesthesia for the surgery & bill with start/stop times

Dr. B: 64415-59, LT or RT (billed as a surgical procedure without time) THIS IS THE INTERSCALENE BLOCK
76942-26 (If ultrasound was documented as being used; bill as a procedure without time)

Just make sure the correct providers are on each procedure on your claim.

Last edited:
Yes, you may bill both if the nerve block is documented as being requested by the surgeon for post-operative pain management.

It will look like this:

01630 (for the general anesthesia for the surgery & bill with start/stop times
64415-59, LT or RT (billed as a procedure without time)
76942-26 (If ultrasound was documented as being used; billed as a procedure without time)

Just make sure the correct providers are on each procedure on your claim.
Thank you for your responses Lisa. Yes the block and ultrasound are billed separately for the second provider. (This was in addition to the regional and general)
So in total 3 services were provided.
My question was for the regional and general both done by the first anesthesiologist.
01992 -7:28- 7:49 am (Regional )
01630 - 7:50-9:43 am (General)

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions. Thank you

Thank you for your responses Lisa. Yes the block and ultrasound are billed separately for the second provider. (This was in addition to the regional and general)
So in total 3 services were provided.
My question was for the regional and general both done by the first anesthesiologist.
01992 -7:28- 7:49 am (Regional )
01630 - 7:50-9:43 am (General)

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions. Thank you
When a nerve block is provided for post-operative pain management, you don't bill the time. Please refer to my original response for how to code this scenario.