Wiki Anesthesia Coding Help Needed!

torresreb

Networker
Best answers
We've never billed anesthesia codes before and I would like if someone could give me their opinion or if there is an anesthesia biller reading this that would be great!

A modifier explanation on page 61 of the 2019 CPT code book says:

Anesthesia Modifiers

All "anesthesia services" are reported by use of the anesthesia five-digit procedure code (00100-01999) plus the addition of a physical status modifier. The use of other optional modifiers may be appropriate.

To me this direction clearly indicates that anesthesia services are reported using codes 00100-01999 and although other services are rendered by a provider in our anesthesia unit it does not make them anesthesia codes nor do we need to place a modifier to show who did it. For instance if one of the anesthesiologists and/or a CRNA provided an epidural, blood patch a modifier of AA or QZ is not needed simply placing the provider who rendered the service in the proper field for the non-anesthesia codes should suffice.

is this not correct? i did a little google research and some of the Blue Cross's clearly indicate that the anesthesia modifiers are to only be placed on anesthesia codes i cannot seem to find a link to an actual resource of say CMS, AAPC that has those exact words in it ....

opinions, thoughts?

CRNA Billing

We are a Critical Access Hospital. We put the modifier on all CRNA charges and have no issue getting paid. Per our CRNA, it is required. Without it, we have been denied by all insurances, including Medicare.