Wiki ANESTHESIA TIME

Best answers
I just want to confirm with you the anesthesia time, heres the scenario, the surgery started at 9am and at 9:15am the surgeonstarted to make an incision. 11:30am the surgery finished and at 11:45am the anesthesiologist is no longer needed. what is the anesthesia time? 2 hours and 30 mins? or 2 hours and 45 mins?

Anesthesia coding is not my specialty, so maybe other posters will respond. But as I understand it, you would not use the surgery times to determine anesthesia time - you would need to use what the anesthesiologist documented for their own services.

Per CPT, "Anesthesia time begins when the anesthesiologist begins to prepare the patient for the induction of anesthesia in the operating room (or in an equivalent area) and ends when the anesthesiologist is no longer in personal attendance, that is, when the patient may be safely placed under postoperative supervision."

So by this definition, you do have a stop time here, 11:45am, but you don't have a start time because you haven't stated when the anesthesiologist began to prepare the patient. You would need that in order to calculate your time.

FYI: Examination content is confidential, therefore, copying questions and/or discussing the questions with others during or following the examination will disqualify you from certification.