Wiki Angioplasty with Angiogram (Confusion)

imkimmy

New
Best answers
I sometimes get confused if I can also code Radiology codes for angioplasties. When checking with the NCCI edit, adding in 75710 would be a conflict. Also not sure if it is conflicting to add in 75625.

From my understanding I thought revascularization procedures have radiological procedures included. I doubt a surgeon would just go ahead and angioplasty the lower extremity's arteries without any angiograms performed before starting a procedure.

This is the Case:

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Left lower extremity peripheral vascular disease with disabling claudication.

PROCEDURES:
1. Ultrasound-guided access of right common femoral artery in retrograde approach with recording.
2. Aortogram and bilateral lower extremity angiogram.
3. Second order selective catheterization of left tibial vessels via a right-sided approach.
1. A left superficial femoral artery atherectomy, shockwave lithotripsy, angioplasty and stent placement 6 x 100 mm Eluvia drug-eluting stent.

I have placed the 37227 - Revascularization, endovascular, open or percutaneous, femoral, popliteal artery(s), unilateral; with transluminal stent placement(s) and atherectomy, includes angioplasty within the same vessel, when performed

75710- Angiography, extremity, unilateral, radiological supervision and interpretation
75625 - Aortography, abdominal, by serialography, radiological supervision and interpretation

Just needed someone to clarify because it is a constant back and forth with billers trying to explain even giving the NCCI Excel showing proof of "Misuse of column 2 and column 1" guidelines as to why certain CPT codes cannot be billed together since it will be unbundling.

If anyone has links or other sources to provide more information whether it is ok or not to add Radiology codes to a revascularization CPT code please reply; any input can help.

The AMA requires documentation of the following to bill for angiography in conjunction with intervention:

“No prior catheter-based angiographic study is available and full diagnostic study is performed, and the decision to intervene is based on the diagnostic study.” In order to bill the radiological procedures, you would need to educate the surgeon to include in the dictation documenting that the decision to intervene is based on the diagnostic study to allow you to bill for the angiography. Once this is dictated you add modifiers -xu to 75710.

Rule: You cannot report a diagnostic S&I code if the patient has had a recent diagnostic procedure. CPT rule: recent diagnostic angiogram Medicare rule: recent diagnostic angiogram or CT Justification: Clinicians were reporting S&I during a diagnostic procedure, then coming back 1-2 days later to perform an intervention and reporting the same diagnostic S&I codes in addition to the intervention codes. Exceptions: Patient symptoms or condition have changed. Prior study technically inadequate. Prior study different anatomic location. Prior study too far in past to be relevant.