Wiki Annual exam & cervical polyp

dardegirl

Best answers
Can anyone out there tell me how they would code the following scenario:
Woman presents to the office for her annual exam. While doing the pap the provider finds a cerivcal polyp and removes it. How would you code this?

px w/polyp

Use the appropriate preventive visit code with a modifier -25 appended and the V72.31 diagnosis followed by 57500 (local excision of cervical lesion) with 622.7 polyp of cvx.

a good point

A good point by heathergirl. What code would you use if not sent for bx? The only other possibility I was able to come up with would be to use the 11440 series of codes. I couldn't find anything relating to different methods of removal (only found different methods for destruction of lesion). Is there something else in the gyne codes that could be used?

regarding my last post

I was thinking about this and I re-read the code descriptor for the code I originally suggested, 57500. It does not matter if a biopsy was sent. The code states "biopsy of cervix, single or multiple, or local excision of lesion, with or without fulguration". There also is no mention of method, I believe because it is an excision, which assumes complete removal with a sharp blade as opposed to destruction which could be done by any number of methods. So I'm sticking by my first answer of preventive + 57500. Just figured I'd follow up on it. ;)