Wiki Annual exam with screening test for sti code z11.3

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: Z79.899
Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Other long term (current) drug therapy
Block: Persons with potential health hazards related to family and personal history and certain conditions influencing health status (Z77-Z99)
Details:
Code also any follow-up examination (Z08-Z09)"
Details: Other long term (current) drug therapy

Z79

Code also: any therapeutic drug level monitoring (Z51.81)

Includes: long term (current) drug use for prophylactic purposes

Excludes2: drug abuse and dependence (F11-F19)
drug use complicating pregnancy, childbirth, and the puerperium (O99.32-)
long term (current) use of oral antidiabetic drugs (Z79.84)
long term (current) use of oral hypoglycemic drugs (Z79.84)"
Guidelines: Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00-Z99)
Note: Z codes represent reasons for encounters. A corresponding procedure code must accompany a Z code if a procedure is performed. Categories Z00-Z99 are provided for occasions when circumstances other than a disease, injury or external cause classifiable to categories A00-Y99 are recorded as 'diagnoses' or 'problems'. This can arise in two main ways:(a) When a person who may or may not be sick encounters the health services for some specific purpose, such as to receive limited care or service for a current condition, to donate an organ or tissue, to receive prophylactic vaccination (immunization), or to discuss a problem which is in itself not a disease or injury.
(b) When some circumstance or problem is present which influences the person's health status but is not in itself a current illness or injury."
For more details, visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/Z79.899
Best answers
Please help i have read the guidelines in icd-10 about 10 time and i can not find the answer. Patient comes for an annual exam z00.00 or z01.419 and the provider orders sti test. In icd-9 we used v74.5 screening for sexually transmitted disease. In icd-10 i used z11.3 encounter screening for infection with a predominantly sexual mode of transmission. Bcbs denied claim stating it is not a medical diagnosis. We see a lot of patients for screening sti's with no signs or symptoms. Please help me with correct coding for this process.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
It may be that the carrier does not cover screening for STI. In which case it is patient responsibility. Also you may consider adding the code for high risk sexual behavior if applicable.