Wiki annual wellness visit with pre-op for cataracts

laberube

Best answers
One of my physicians wants to bill a pre-op cataract visit along with an Annual Wellness Visit. I wouldn' think we could, Does anyone have correct information on this?

You can bill an additional E&M visit with the annual wellness visit, as long as the visit is medically necessary, the documentation supports separately identifiable work, and that the pre-op visit doesn't bump up against any global days. Just make sure that the patient is aware that you're billing both; there will be deductible and co-insurance responsiblity for the patient with regard to the E&M visit, since they might be expecting the "free" visit only.

annual wellness visit with pre-op clearance for cataracts

Even though its actually a pre-op consult Medicare will allow both?We are so used to not billing a pre-op consult with a preventive and we thought this would follow the same guidelines.
Thank you

I don't think I told you to bill a consult, I said that you can bill an additional E&M if appropriate. It's up to you to determine if the guidelines are met with the content of your providers' documentation.

Per Noridian:

During an AWV or IPPE, several medical conditions are brought up. Are we able to bill the AWV in addition to an E&M?
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]A37. Both services can be billed if the E&M is significantly and separately identifiable from the AWV or IPPE. The appropriate level of E&M should be reported and documented and 25 modifier appended. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
But in this case since this is a pre op visit, we have to bill 99024 with dx v72.83 preop visit and 366.9 cataract uns.But for the AWV or whatever the case is ,bill the appropriate G code with dx V70.0.