Wiki antibiotic hip spacer

Best answers
The dr. places an antibiotic spacer in the shape of a cup & head (depuy summit cemented size 3 high offset with a +5 32 head with postalac cup.) I was thinking of using cpt code 27030. Dr. wants to use 27125 but this is not an actual prosthesis. Any thoughts on this one?
Thanks,

It depends on the context of the surgery and op note documentation. Did the patient already have THA that became infected and the explanted that and implanted an ABX spacer? Did the patient have a native hip joint infection and the spacer is implanted pending a "final" THA or hemi?

It depends on the context of the surgery and op note documentation. Did the patient already have THA that became infected and the explanted that and implanted an ABX spacer? Did the patient have a native hip joint infection and the spacer is implanted pending a "final" THA or hemi?
The patient had no prosthesis. This is his original parts and has developed septic arthritis. Documentation states: Mixed 2g of vancomycin & 2.4 g tobromycin into 1 batch of cement this was placed to the acetabulum from the medial defect onto the cement with a size 3 high offset Summit cemented stem and head were placed. I am trying to code 27030 and 20704. As of now it is in someone else' hands to let me know if I have to code 27125 or I can go with my codes. I have included the picture below of a hip cement spacer.
Thanks,

Attachments

• Picture of cement hip spacer.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
I knew I had discussed this concept before somewhere in here. See below:

If it is meant to be a functional hemi that they are walking around on for a temporary period of time, I would probably be inclined to report 27125 too. I think it could go either way. The size 3 high offset Summit cemented stem and head would not be accounted for in the way you want to code it with 27030 & 20704. The work RVUs are only slightly different either way reported. The 27125 is higher.