Wiki Any advice for a new CPC-A looking to start a career?

Best answers
Good evening! Does anyone have any advice for a newly certified CPC-A looking for a job opportunity? I've obtained my certification a couple months ago and just graduated from the Andrew's School Medical Coding program. I've been applying to every coding job I've come across on Linkedin, Indeed, etc. I've also been looking for internships and haven't found anything. Does anyone have any advice or know anyone who might hire a CPC-A? Thank you in advance! My email is pamelaj1997@hotmail.com

Yes. Get an internship with any kind of healthcare facility/hospital you can find and shadow coders if you can. Alternatively, you can do AAPC's version called Practicode and then they should take the A off for you. (You might need to remind them.) Once you've got your A off, customize your resume to each job posting you see that is relevant. You might try looking at entry-level healthcare jobs and customize your resume to each individual posting you see as much as you can with your current skills including keywords taken directly from the postings if you can. Good luck!

Hi, not sure if your already in some sort of healthcare role that has exposure to coding like- insurance verification, medical records, something like that. but if you are- you can ask your direct manager if they would be willing to write a letter to help get your A removed. If you are NOT- I would start with looking for those types of entry positions. That way you can be introduced to Coding, get your A removed, and possibly graduate to coding within the same company.

All the Best!