Question Anything wrong with staying as a CPC-A for a long time?

MrsB

Best answers
I have been certified since Sept. 2020 and I have been working in the manufacturing field for 11 years and want a career change for the better.
What concerns me is the pay starting out, which isn't enough to keep food on the table and roof over my head for my family in terms of getting my foot in
the door in medical billing, front desk, etc. I have read that not all certified professional coders start out working in coding right away and have to start from the
bottom on up which is understandable. I have no issues with my resume and cover letter writing, just concerned if it would be...weird if/when the time comes when I am able to apply for a job and the interviewer would ask "why have you been a CPC-A for x amount of years and didn't get the A removed?"

I continue to study and keep up with my ceus hoping someday when I can afford to take the financial hit, I can finally apply to a position in the field.
It could be something to fall back on and to use if God forbid should something would happen to me causing a physical disability for example, and
there's hardly any light duty in the manufacturing field. Just a thought. Suggestions, opinions, criticism is welcome. Thanks.

Anyone looking at your background will understand why the "A" is still there, so don't stress about that. Some people get hired on right away, others take a longer route. I'm amazed at how many people who are coding without any credentials, just don't understand that at all. Whatever route you take, just get there some how. Your CPC will help you with positions that will help you "get your foot in the door'. Continue to keep up with your credentials. One thing that I did was read the HBM cover to cover every month. It kept me up to date on not only coding, but on other things happening in the industry as well. I was amazed at how many times I was asked questions by doctors and could answer at the top of my head because I read the magazine every month. It really impressed them and helped in getting me promoted.

Seconding Orthocoderpgu's sentiment. It's fine to still have the A.
It's just SOOOO important to keep your knowledge up to date if you are not working in the field. I've conducted interviews with people who could not answer basic verbal questions because their education was years ago and didn't keep their skills up. For example, you should be familiarizing yourself with the 2021 outpatient E/M coding changes. Some employers will even give you a coding test, and will not hire someone who answered 1/2 the questions wrong.
I don't know if it's an option for you, but see if your current employer will consider part time employment while you work part time at an entry level healthcare position. If not (benefits, etc), try contacting some local medical offices to see if they need very part time (like per diem or contract) staff. If you think about all the time you spent studying for your CPC, it's probably more than having a part time job.

I will echo what csperoni said and suggest that you have a plan for keeping your knowledge current with changes in the industry.

It's completely understandable that you need to continue working at a job that will pay your bills! Just have a plan to keep your coding knowledge fresh, if you still have a long term goal of being a coder.

I like the suggestion to find a per diem job in healthcare if you can swing it - sometimes hospitals have positions in registration or other clerical opportunities where you might only work a few hours a week, which would give you some hands-on experience with the software that could benefit you down the road.