Wiki Are there any LPNs or RNs that switched to coding? *Any advice appreciated*

pke1991

Contributor
Best answers
My mother is an 14 year LPN. She's about to take her CPC exam for the first time in December. She's been on the floor for 14 years and wants to transition into a better work-life balance. In addition to getting her CPC certification she is thinking of getting her RN license to increase her marketability for a coding and/or desk job.

She feels because she is an LPN she will not be considered for coding and/or desk positions due to lacking the qualifications of an RN. In my opinion, I do not see why an RN coder would be chosen over an LPN coder. I know some of the duties and responsibilities are different but ultimately both of their skills and knowledge are very useful for coding. Would getting her RN license increase her marketability and earning potential upon finding a coding job?

I really don't want my mother to spend so much money and time on going back to school again when she doesn't even want to do RN nursing. I'm trying to convince her to just focus on the coding certification only to save time and money in the long run. Please advise.

I'm an RN and haven't gotten a coding job yet, and pretty surprised my experience seems to matter little when it comes to a new hire. But I can tell you I don't see how anyone can easily code without some kind of medical background.

In my opinion going to get her RN to become a coder from where she is at is a waste of time. She's got clinical experience, which when she does start coding or using her credentials will be a big help.