Wiki Are you distributing the MIPS bonus to the providers or the practice owners?

CatchTheWind

Best answers
If your practice earned a MIPS incentive adjustment for 2017, and if you have any employed or contracted providers, are you paying that incentive adjustment to the providers or to the practice owners?

In every practice I've worked for, payments to employed & contracted providers are made strictly in accordance with the terms of those contracts or employment agreements, so I've never seen something like this come up as a discretionary choice. Since the providers assign their benefits to the practice, all revenues from payers legally belong to the practice and/or practice owners, incentive payments included, so I think it would be have to be up to the owners to opt to distribute this, unless the contracts specified otherwise.

MIPS incentive

I have noticed that the MIPS incentive to us is coming off as negative adjustment to the federal sequestration.

E.g. we get adjustment of $3.16 with code 253 (federal sequestration) and negative adjustment of $2.92 with code 144 (MIPs incentive), so apart from the contractual adjustment, we have $0.24 adjustment. The MIPS cushioned the federal sequestration so the adjustment is not the full 1.62%.

We used to receive a check or an EFT amount for the PQRS program/ MIPs in prior years but nowadays, it's just "given" as a form to cushion the sequestration amount.