Wiki Arthroscopy of the elbow

Best answers
Hello, I am having trouble coding a few of the procedures in this operative report. My doctor did all of the procedures through the scope. 1. Arthroscopic capsular release and removal of capsule rt. elbow. 2. Synovectomy 3. removal of loose bodies, 4. chondroplasty of capitellum and olecranon, and 4. injection of depo medrol passed down the sheath of the scope. I have the synovectomy as 29836 and the loose body 29834 but do not see capsular release or chondroplasty. The capsular release if done open would be 24006 but can't use since it was done through the arthroscope and not an open procedure. Do you think I should use unlisted 29999 and submit operative report or is the chondroplasty and capsular release and excision of capsule inclusive to other codes? Any advise is appreciated.
Diane

Hi Diane,
I am new at this, so I am just going to give you some ideas based on what I have read. Chondroplasty is often referred to as debridement in many of the op reports I have read. There are two codes for arthroscopic debridement of the elbow: 29837 (limited) and 29838 (extensive). I also believe the capsular release might fall under synovectomy or debridement depending on what the doctor does to release the elbow contracture. I can't really tell you without seeing the full op report, but you might want to look into 29835 and 29836 as well.
I hope I've at least guided you in the right direction.