Wiki Arthroscopy with subcromial decompression

NESmith

Expert
Best answers
I was hpoing I could figure this out myself but the more I look at the codes the more confused I get. Please someone help me.

Pre-Op Dx: Impingement rt shoulder
Post-Op: Same

Procedure: the patient was identified, brought into the operating room, placed in a supine postion. General endo tracheal anesthesia was administered. Interscalene block was aaadministered. Appropriate antibiotic was administered. the patient was placed into a beach chair position with all bony prominences protected. The shoulder was prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner. Spinal needle was placed in the glenohumeral joint, injected with 1% Lidocaine. A blunt trocar was placed, arthroscope placed in its sheath. Arthroscopic evaluation revealed an intact glenohumeral cartilage. Bicep tendon was intact. No subluxation. Rotator cuff was pristine. Subscapularis muscle pristine. no instability, no labral tearing. no internal impingement. Subcromial space was entered. There was some mild bursal reaction. Bursectomy was performed. The CA ligament was resected and the acromion elevated with a burr, shaver and wand. There was not cuff sided tear either. The joint was suctioned, all loose material was removed, closed with 3-0 Prolene. Sterile dressing applied. The patient returned to the recovery room in stable condition.

I am looking at CPTcodes 29826 & 29827. Dx: 726.10 If these are not correct, please advise why and direct me to the correct ones.
Thanks as always for everyones help.

I would def wait for more opinions, but I personally would not use the 29827, as the op note states that the rotator cuff is "pristine", is I am looking at that correctly. 29826 is an "add on code" only as of 2012, and when my practitioner perfroms the decompression of subacromial space (I realize your's is the ligament release), then I bill it as unlisted 29999, and bill per fee schedule.

I agree with kc-george, 29827 was not performed and shouldn't be billed; the patient had a subacromial decompression and since 29826 is an add-on code for 2012 I believe the recommendation is to bill an unlisted procedure code.