Wiki as of Oct. 1 to use ICD 10 CM (causality) codes for all trauma diagnoses

Best answers
Hello all,
I need HELP!! One of my physicians came to me asking about the causality reimbursement. He stated they will be required as of Oct. 1 to use ICD 10 CM (causality) codes for all trauma diagnoses or risk losing reimbursement. Does anyone know what this is about? Thanks in advance

I believe he is referring to the external "cause" codes V00-Y99

For example:

Patient comes in with a fractured left hip from a fall in the bathroom at the nursing home she is in

S72.92XA Unspecified fracture of left femur, initial encounter for closed fracture
W18.30XA Fall on same level, unspecified, initial encounter
Y92.121 Bathroom in nursing home as the place of occurrence of the external cause

hope this points you in the right direction

Hi Networker

I'm aware of the use of the "cause" codes and we do use them when provided to use by the physicians.
So, are you saying, you are aware of the loss of reimbursement if the cause codes aren't used with all trauma diagnoses?

Thanks for respnding

I believe he is referring to the external "cause" codes V00-Y99

For example:

Patient comes in with a fractured left hip from a fall in the bathroom at the nursing home she is in

S72.92XA Unspecified fracture of left femur, initial encounter for closed fracture
W18.30XA Fall on same level, unspecified, initial encounter
Y92.121 Bathroom in nursing home as the place of occurrence of the external cause

hope this points you in the right direction

Is that the case now that a trauma code without external causes documented will have cause to be denied or modified on reimbursements?

Peace
?_?
Most office doctors will dictate the fall part but less often will they include the location and activity.